[ltp] Re: tp_smapi 0.34 and hdaps

Sun, 20 Jan 2008 17:03:25 -0200

On Sun, 20 Jan 2008, CC.Fan@gmx.de wrote:
> > I'm not sure the more restricted approach, with
> > model checking, is worth the trouble, given that we've never seen the
> > (1,0,0,0) values on old models. If we go this route, we'll need to
> > aggressively maintain the whitelist forever for hdaps to work at all
> > on new models. If we just allow the (1,0,0,0) in hdaps_check_ec in
>
> We could accept all values (all or only 1,0,0,0 and 0,60,0,0 ?) on unknown
> models and restrict them on known thinkpads. maybe I will update the patch
> tomorrow.

No, that is unacceptable.  HDAPS is accessing the EC firmware directly, and
no sort of "use it even when we are not sure it is safe" behaviour is
acceptable by default.

It is fine to add a module parameter to force detection of HDAPS, as long as
it defaults to disabled, and the user is warned that enabling it could be
dangerous, and that he assumes all risks for doing so, including the risk of
causing a battery cell explosion (the same EC interface is used to access
advanced battery control data.  See tp_smapi for details).

  Henrique Holschuh