[ltp] Re: feisty to gutsy on a T42

Michael Perry linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 19 Jan 2008 08:28:08 -0800

On Fri, 18 Jan 2008 13:50:59 -0800 (PST), David Griffith wrote:

> I held off upgrading my T42 because of the complaints that immediately
> rolled in about the SLAB versus SLUB problems and hibernation problems.  I
> haven't seen any of that anymore.  Is it safe now for me to upgrade my
> T42?  Would doing a format and install also be safe?
>
> --
> David Griffith
> dgriffi@cs.csubak.edu

Well, To me the jury is still out.  I've had to mess with a few different
things to get my T43 to suspend and more importantly to wake up at an
acceptable level.  I found stuff causing problems from how the screen
blanking occurred, how the screensaver were killing the display (I think
this is a known problem with ATI Radeon cards), and whether the combination
of gnome-power-manager, acpi scripts, and uswsusp could be made to all
"just live together".  The uswsusp in gutsy does not contain s2ram but it
does contain s2both and s2disk.  I've read that s2both will work; but on my
laptop it simply hibernates the laptop and that's about it. I ended up
installing the uswsusp from Debian Lenny.  I also changed out (manually and
not the debian or ubuntu way), the hal suspend and hibernation scripts to
only call s2ram and s2disk because the other entries simply did not work.

You may have to do some researching, trying, failing, and perhaps
succeeding at the end.  I think my laptop now suspends and resumes about
95% of the time correctly and it hibernates and resumes very well.

--
Michael Perry | do or do not. There is no try. -Master Yoda
mperry@lnxpowered.org | http://www.lnxpowered.org