[ltp] Hacking the UltraNav USB keyboard

Simon Williams linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 20 Jan 2008 09:34:02 +0000

Richard Neill wrote:
> I asked a while ago whether anyone had had any luck making the external
> USB Ultranav Keyboard work with Linux. (It's OK, except that the
> trackpoint sensitivity cannot be turned up to 100%, remaining at the
> default of 30%. This requirement of a forceful press is what I want to
> fix.) I had another go at it today; here's what I found:
>
> Unfortunately, Windows doesn't seem to send any packets at all at that
> point! That is rather odd, since the sensitivity of the trackpoint was
> definitely changing when I moved the slider.
>
> 6)This means either:
>    - I'm looking at the wrong thing
>    - The sniffer can't capture certain control packets
>    - There's a bug in SnoopyPro
>    - There isn't a sensitivity register in the hardware itself, but it's
>        all done in software.
>

> Does anyone have any thoughts?

I think most USB devices are still PS/2 compliant, because you can just
stick a USB-PS/2 adapter on them and they will work. I don't think there
is anything in PS/2 which will let you specify things like sensitivity
so I would have thought it would all be done in software.

Besides- there isn't really any point in doing it in hardware- why make
extra work for yourself? All you'd be doing is scaling the output, which
might as well be done in software.