[ltp] backlight control via Fn-home and Fn-end

Stefan Monnier linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 18 Jan 2008 17:29:49 -0500

I recently switched from the Xorg vesa driver to the new Xorg radeonhd
driver and now the brightness keys do not work anymore: to change the
brightness I have to switch to a text console, change the brightness and
then switch back.

`xev' shows that the keys generate X11 events (keycodes 101 and 212),
and those keys are somehow recognized by some piece of software
somewhere because they cause a transient "overlay" display of a little
"brightness" icon together with a level-indicator (which is always stuck
at the minimum (or is it just empty?)).  They also affect the brightness
setting returned by /proc/acpi/ibm/brightness (as well as in
/sys/class/backlight/actual_brightnesss but not
/sys/class/backlight/brightness which stays stuck at 0 no matter what
I do).  But they do not change the brightness itself.
I tried to pass brightness_mode=1 (and 2 and 3) but to not avail.

So it seems that the problem might be somewhere in thinkpad-acpi.
I'm running a stock Debian 2.6.23-1-686 kernel (ThinkPad ACPI Extras
v0.16).

Any idea what's wrong?

        Stefan