[ltp] Hot swapping ultrabay battery?

Mon, 21 Jan 2008 23:00:06 -0200

On Mon, 21 Jan 2008, Theodore Tso wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 21, 2008 at 02:29:42PM -0800, Marc MERLIN wrote:
> > I'm pretty sure that if I reboot my laptop, I'll see the 2nd battery in
> > acpi, but is there a way to havfe it register without rebooting?
>
> There were patches that went by LKML last week that claimed to support
> battery hotplug, whose descrtiptions seemed to imply that they solved
> this problem, but I haven't had time to try them yet.  As far as I
> know no one has commented on them, one way or another.

Heh, the *only* think needed for the generic ACPI bay module to handle a
battery in a ThinkPad, is for it to stop refusing to detect anything that is
not a disk as a bay.  I have tested this, and told Zhang Rui sometime ago
exactly that.

So it is very, very likely that his patches "just work".  I will test them
soon.

A thinkpad actually has a lot of stuff that "bay" should handle:

1. Floppy port (yes, it is there at least on T4x, yes it works, but nobody
seems to care for floppies anymore, and you need a port replicator to even
access it).

2. PATA/SATA port (ultrabay) - works already

3. Battery (ultrabay) - needs the very recent patches to stop ignoring it
because it is not a disk (!)

Plus, whatever is in the dock. A T43 seems to only support a PATA/SATA port
in the dock, but other thinkpads have docks with very different
capabilities.

  Henrique Holschuh