[ltp] Shame and degradation: T60, ATI X1400, fglrx, Gutsy, apt-get dist-upgrade, fonts, HW accel, suspend/resume

Harry Mangalam linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 23 Jan 2008 08:19:17 -0800

On Wednesday 23 January 2008, Mihai C=C4=83lin Bazon wrote:
> What do you mean by "HW" accel? =20

hardware (as opposed to software/Mesa) acceleration.  the current=20
fglrx from Ubuntu loads and suspends/resumes, but I oculd never get=20
it to do hardware accel (which was the point of using it). =20
glxgears -> ~700 fps on Mesa, vs 3800 fps with hardware.

> I got suspend/resume working with=20
> the latest fglrx driver (kernel 2.3.23.12) and it works flawlessly.
>  I don't even know if it's using the native suspend or not (I just
> press the keybinding). =20

I'm assuming you meant 2.6.23 - what distro?  Ubuntu Gutsy only goes=20
to 2.6.22-14. I tried compiling a custom 2.6.23 kernel but as noted,=20
I never was able to tune it correctly (could you mail me out-of-band=20
your .config if you compiled it for a T60?)  What is the fglrx=20
version that worked?

> 3D is working fine (I suspect that's what=20
> you mean by HW accel?).  AIGLX doesn't work but I don't mind;
> Compiz looks good, but when I do serious work I find those effects
> distracting.

in my debugging travels, I learned that AIGLX is supported in the=20
recent drivers; it doesn't need to be loaded.

> That's not to say I'm happy with it.  Hell I've spent countless
> hours debugging the suspend/resume problems and every, every time
> they were related to the infamous ATI driver.  It works now but who
> knows if it will after the next upgrade? :-)  And we're in 2008.=20
> It's almost 2 years since I got this laptop.  I'm not buying ATI
> again, never ever.

I concur.  I'll buy Dell before I buy another laptop with an ATI card.

=2D-=20
Harry Mangalam - Research Computing, NACS, E2148, Engineering Gateway,=20
UC Irvine 92697  949 824 0084(o), 949 285 4487(c)
=2D-
[A Nation of Sheep breeds a Government of Wolves.
Edward R. Murrow]