[ltp] Disabling touchpad buttons only (success)

Fri, 25 Jan 2008 03:22:13 +0200

--liOOAslEiF7prFVr

To summarize:

  (1) I want to disable the touchpad buttons (because I almost never use
      them intentionally, but keep pressing them by accident)

  (2) I want to keep using touchpad features like tap-to-press and
      scrolling

  (3) I want trackpoint to work (these are the mouse buttons that I
      prefer to use)

  (4) I want hotpluggable USB mice to work

Because of (2) I cannot stop using the synaptics driver.

The synaptics driver doesn't support button remapping (and AFAIK X
doesn't have generic per-device button maps), so I need to patch the
source in any case.

As a result I no longer need to worry about not using /dev/input/mice or
creating udev rules to separate touchpad and trackpoint devices.

Here's the patch:
http://mg.pov.lt/xserver-xorg-input-synaptics-0.14.6-touchpad-buttons-off.p=
atch

It Works For Me (TM).