[ltp] Expected thermal values on X60

Nathaniel Smith linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 27 Jan 2008 08:56:42 +0000

My X60 has been feeling rather warm lately, and then the last few days
its been crashing in odd ways (one entry in kern.log says "general
protection fault: 0000 [1] SMP <kernel backtrace in kswapd>").  So I
opened it up to clear dust out of the fan, and found there basically
wasn't any dust in there... so now I'm worried that something trickier
might be wrong.

I'm also worried because /proc/acpi/ibm/thermal says:
   temperatures:	46 35 128 43 26 128 24 128
I'm hoping those 128s are because in fact those sensors don't exist on
the X60, but the docs say that missing sensors should be printed as
-128, not 128... this is with 2.6.22.1 + the tp acpi 20070708 snapshot
(little weird as a version, I know, but until a few days ago things
have been working fine so I haven't bothered upgrading).  SMART
reports my hard-drive is at 37 degrees Celsius.

So: are those thermal numbers in fact something to be worried about?
If so, any ideas what could be making the laptop get so hot besides
dust in the fan?  If not, any other ideas at what would be causing
these weird crashes?

-- Nathaniel

--
Electrons find their paths in subtle ways.