[ltp] x61s suspend problem

Vincent C Jones linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 27 Jan 2008 13:27:35 -0500

On Sun, 2008-01-27 at 16:22 +0000, Ashok Leyland wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 27, 2008 at 12:48:26PM +0100, Peter Fr?hberger wrote:
> > Hi Pete,
> > Am Sonntag 27 Januar 2008 01:26:45 schrieben Sie:
> > >
> > >     Peter> I filed a bugreport, some time ago. Someone has tracked this
> > >     Peter> issue down to two patches which where introduced into the
> > >     Peter> ubuntu kernel as well as into 2.6.23 mainline. The workaround
> > >     Peter> for the display being blank after resume was to append the
> > >     Peter> s3bios option to grub.
> > >
> > >     Peter>
> > > https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-source-2.6.22/+bug/153545
> > >
> > >     Peter> I am running 2.6.24 successfully for 3 days now, did 5
> > >     Peter> suspends in a row and everything is fine.
> > >
> > > Hi Peter
> > >
> > > a few questions.
> > >
> > > 1 - do you use the acpi_sleep=s3_bios option with the 2.6.24 kernel ?
> > >
> > > 2 - are your USB ports OK after resume ?
> > >
> > > 3 - what procedure did you use to upgrade the kernel ? was it this
> > >
> > >   http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=646755
> > >
> > > i'm running gutsy on an x61s so would love to know what the final answer
> > > is!
> > >
> > > regards
> > > Pete
> >
> > I just got the vanilla kernel sources from www.kernel.org. I used the ubuntu
> > config from 2.6.22-14-generic, added the iwlwifi stuff and the snd_hda
> > driver, because ubuntu ships these modules separately.
> >
> > I use the following grub options: acpi_sleep=s3_bios,s3_mode acpi_osi="Linux"
> > usbcore autosuspend=1
>
> FWIW, 'kernel/acpi_video_flags = 3' in /etc/sysctl.conf is equivalent to
> 'acpi_sleep=s3_bios,s3_mode' on the kernel command line.
>
> I'm not using 'acpi_osi="Linux"' - should I be?
>
> X61s running 2.6.24, using the in-kernel thinkpad-acpi.

FYI: Since the X61 and X61s seem to have a lot in common, and I just
went through two days getting 2.6.24 to work correctly on my X61,
thought you might benefit from my results. In particular, the default
for "acpi_osi" changed between 2.6.22 and 2.6.24 so you now need to
explicitly ask for it rather than getting it by default and on my 7675
X61, you need it, along with several other options.

Suspend/resume works from text console & X using S2RAM_OPTS="-f -a 3"

Linux is SuSE 10.3 using SuSE "kernel-default-2.6.24-32.1" with disk
protect and tp_smapi patches.

X61:~ # s2ram -i
This machine can be identified by:
    sys_vendor   = "LENOVO"
    sys_product  = "7675CTO"
    sys_version  = "ThinkPad X61"
    bios_version = "7NET30WW (1.11 )"
See http://suspend.sf.net/s2ram-support.html for details.

If you report a problem, please include the complete output above.
X61:~ #

Note that the following additional kernel options are also needed:
  pci=routeirq
  irqfixup
  acpi_osi=Linux
The first two to get the right side USB ports and SD card slots to work,
the last to get resume & hibernate to work.

Good luck and have fun!

Vince