[ltp] ThinkPad iSeries 1720 (2672-720)

Ashok Leyland linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 27 Jan 2008 20:29:25 +0000

On Sun, Jan 27, 2008 at 02:29:16PM -0500, rrkrr wrote:

[snip]

> On boot, the dmesg file has an item that says the ACPI is old and will
> be inactive by default, but can be turned on by using "acpi-force" in
> the kernel parameters.  I tried this and got a "METHOD_NAME__PRS" errors
> (and several others), so turned off ACPI and turned on APM, which seemed
> to work at first, but now the thing is very slow to boot and appears to
> be trying to use the swap partition on the hard drive for the
> hibernate/suspend record partition.  There is an existing partition on
> the hard drive for this purpose that was not reformatted by the
> installer's partitioner, which couldn't see it.

that would be a 'hidden fat16' partition IIRC, which is used for bios
hibernation, I think. cfdisk should see it. Linux hibernate (swsusp and
friends) don't use this, they use the swap partition. There is a linux
tool for creating the swap file in the hidden fat16 partition, for
bioses that don't use the raw partition, but I'm afraid I forget its
name. I used it on my old T22. IIRC, the bios method was _much_ slower
than swsusp. OTOH, swsusp needs decent ACPI support, I think, so you may
be better off sticking with with bios hibernation.

> I know this because
> the Gnome hardware viewing tool does see this partition as sda2. Do I
> need to make this partition bigger to accommodate the increased RAM (I
> assume all RAM is stored on hibernate)?  How do I format/mount this
> partition and persuade the computer to use it for hibernate records?
>
> I've been successful using a PCI card for wired ethernet, but the PCI
> card I got for 802.11g has the dreaded Ralink rt61 chip, which does not
> play nice with Network Manager.  Does anyone know of an  802.11g PCI
> card that does work?

http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Jean_Tourrilhes/Linux &
http://www.fsf.org/resources/hw/net/wireless/cards.html

are good sources of info on wireless cards

HTH