[ltp] ThinkPad iSeries 1720 (2672-720)

John Jason Jordan linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 27 Jan 2008 12:51:10 -0800

On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 14:29:16 -0500
rrkrr <rrkrr@comcast.net> dijo:

> I've been successful using a PCI card for wired ethernet, but the PCI
> card I got for 802.11g has the dreaded Ralink rt61 chip, which does not
> play nice with Network Manager.  Does anyone know of an  802.11g PCI
> card that does work?  Does anyone have a better video configuration for
> neomagic 256AV?

Re the Neomagic: About a week ago I had to help a newbie to Linux
install Ubuntu on an older Dell that had Neomagic video. We were
successful when we used "phigh -reconfigure xorg.conf" (someone help me
here - that syntax doesn't look quite right). The reconfigure process
is command line but offers options. One of them was to select the kind
of video the computer had, and Neomagic was one of the choices. We
selected it and the next set of options let us choose what resolutions
and color depths we wanted to have available to the user. After we
finished the video was perfect.