[ltp] Re: inclusion of tp-smapi into mainline kernels

Shem Multinymous linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 28 Jan 2008 10:54:01 -0500

Hi,

On Jan 28, 2008 9:55 AM, Evgeni Golov <sargentd@die-welt.net> wrote:
> while working on tp-smapi in Debian, the question about including it
> into the kernel raised up once more, so I decided to ask you about it.
>
> There was a discussion in August 2006 [1][2] with a last comment from
> you[3]:
> "I'm working with Linus, Andrew and a few other developers to find a
> workable alternative, such as entrusting my full identity with them."
>
> What is the status of that? Would they accept your patches now?

It didn't work out. Basically, they don't want funny stuff in the
kernel tree drawing the wrong kind of attention. Can't blame them.

If someone's interested in taking ownership of this code and
submitting it "properly", please contact me privately.

> It would be really nice to have a fully working ThinkPad EC/HDAPS support
> in the mainline kernel, instead of patching/building out-of-tree
> modules.

Amen to that.

  Shem