[ltp] Re: Disabling touchpad buttons only (success)

Mon, 28 Jan 2008 19:54:53 +0200

--PEIAKu/WMn1b1Hv9

On Sun, Jan 27, 2008 at 05:54:15PM -0500, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> >> Is it worth it?  I doubt this is a FAQ...
> > I get frustrated with accidental button presses by my palms too...
>=20
> I get button presses from my belly when I use my laptop at night in bed.
> I happen not to use the touchpad much anyway, so I disable it
> altogether, but disabling only the buttons doesn't seem like
> a bad idea.

Okay, here's the patch that lets you do this:
http://mg.pov.lt/xserver-xorg-input-synaptics-0.14.6-touchpad-buttons-off.p=
atch

I don't know what's the best place to put a link to it on thinkwiki.org,
and I'm modest (and *cough*lazy*cough*), so it'd be best if someone else
did it.

Build instructions for Ubuntu 7.10:

  wget http://mg.pov.lt/xserver-xorg-input-synaptics-0.14.6-touchpad-button=
s-off.patch
  sudo apt-get install build-essential fakeroot dpkg-dev
  sudo apt-get build-dep xserver-xorg-input-synaptics
  apt-get source xserver-xorg-input-synaptics
  cd xserver-xorg-input-synaptics-0.14.6
  patch -p0 -i ../xserver-xorg-input-synaptics-0.14.6-touchpad-buttons-off.=
patch
  dpkg-buildpackage -uc -us -b -rfakeroot
  sudo dpkg -i ../xserver-xorg-input-synaptics_0.14.6-0ubuntu10mg1_i386.deb

Maybe I should investigate Ubuntu's Private Package Archives...

Cheers,
Marius Gedminas
--=20
Science is to computer science as hydrodynamics is to plumbing.

--PEIAKu/WMn1b1Hv9

--PEIAKu/WMn1b1Hv9--