[ltp] weird occasional freezes on my thinkpad r60

Mon, 28 Jan 2008 23:44:25 -0200

On Mon, 28 Jan 2008, Peter Jordan wrote:
> I have weird occasional freezes on my thinkpad r60 (debian lenny, kernel
> 2.6.24 (and earlier), thinkpad_acpi, tuxonice, tp_smapi). Most often my
> notebook freezes when i plug in the ac-adapter. I don't know, what the
> problem is and where to search for. the logs say nothing.

Look at /proc/interrupts.  Is your NMI counter zero?  If not, remove all
NMI-causing stuff from your kernel (likely, the NMI watchdog).

> Any ideas or suggestions?

Plugging the AC adapter causes a SMI, then ACPI activity (interrupt, etc),
then an ACPI event to userspace.  Could be anything, from hardware, thorough
kernel, to userspace trying to up brightness, etc.

  Henrique Holschuh