[ltp] X60 - (bad) experience, others?

Atul Chitnis linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 29 Jan 2008 17:12:20 +0530 (IST)

There are two types of X60 models, identified by their model numbers.

The 1706 X60 (which I suspect you have) is the high speed CPU, battery
draining version. I had one of those for a brief while, and everything you
described has been my experience as well.

The 1702 x60s model uses a slightly lower speed, extremely low power CPU
and supporting chipset. I get upto 7 hours out of the extended battery (I
don't have a normal battery to compare), it runs quite cool, and is
marginally lighter. A joy to use.

The 3945 issues apply to both. But then I use Fedora with standard kernels
from the distro repositories, so I haven't faced any issues on that front
- things work more or less out of the box. I do prefer atrpm.net's ipw3945
drivers for similar reasons that you have stated - but then those are also
just a yum install away for me.

For the record, the model I have is the 1702-4EA, the room heater I had
for a brief while was the 1706-7FA.

Atul

--
Atul Chitnis