[ltp] X60 - (bad) experience, others?

Dieter Jurzitza linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 29 Jan 2008 14:09:23 +0100

Hi Nils,
why so much moanin'? I used to have the very same x60 you seem to have - an=
d I=20
used it with the high capacity battery pack - not that expensive, but keepi=
ng=20
me up around 7h - what do I want more?

I got everything functional and working, and, yes, the loss numbers are=20
similar to yours (9.5-11 Watts). Since a LCD backlight is a LCD backlight -=
=20
wheter using M$ or linux, you won't change very much with regard to the=20
losses whether you run M$ or linux. And the WIFI interface is up and runnin=
g=20
here.

I listed my experiences on the thinkwiki=20
(http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Installing_openSUSE_10.2_on_a_ThinkPad_X60),=
 I=20
got everything up and running - except the internal modem which needs=20
proprietary drivers I did not want to use. I can hardly imagine that what i=
s=20
possible with openSUSE should not work with gentoo. However, mileage may=20
vary.

So, what are you heading for? What are you complaining about? Add an=20
apropriate battery pack and the operational-time performace is highly=20
satisfying (IMHO). This laptop is one of the few ones I know that offers=20
_full_ functionality (all FN-FX keys usuable, s2disk, s2ram, all=20
peripherals ...) at a decent price and a small size.

But these are just my 2 cents here ... :-)

If you need some help getting something into operation - just let me know.

Have fun .....

Dieter Jurzitza

=2D-=20
=2D----------------------------------------------------------

                                \

if you really want to see the pictures above - use some font
with constant spacing like courier! :-)
9.=20