[ltp] X60 - (bad) experience, others?

Theodore Tso linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 30 Jan 2008 08:10:23 -0500

On Wed, Jan 30, 2008 at 07:39:35PM +0700, Joakim Lagerqvist wrote:

> Interesting to follow your discussion since I am thinking of getting a
> new (small) laptop myself. I have used thinkpads for quite some time and
> had good experience with them, especially with Linux. But are they still
> as good or should I look around for something else? I am currently
> thinking about either a x61s or sony vaio TZ or something similar.
>
> What do you think? Is thinkpad still worth it?

All small laptops have a certain amount of compromises.  By
definition, they will have a smaller screen, for example.  In order to
cut weight, sometimes they have smaller batteries.  Often they won't
have a CD/DVD drive, etc.  Whether or not it matters *really* depends
on what your requirements are.

I very much like the X61s, because my priorities, were, in order, (1)
little compromises on CPU speed and memory capacity when plugged into
the AC mains, since this was my development machine, (2) reasonable
battery life, (3) as light as possible given (1) and (2), (4) a robust
enough machine that it won't get easily damaged because I travel a
lot.

Different ultralights will be at different points in the tradeoff
spectrum.  So it's really about *your* requirements, and you really
need to think very carefully about what you want it to do.  If you
just need something to browse the web, and you don't need a lot of
speed and don't mind a 7 inch screen, an $300 Asus eePC might be just
the ticket.

Or if you want something Steve Jobs sexy, and don't mind the lack of a
wired ethernet, only one USB port, a slow 4200 RPM hard drive or
paying $1000 extra for a SSD drive, a slightly slower processor, and
don't mind paying a cool $1999 for it, then maybe the Macbook Air is
right for you.

It really, really depends on what *YOU* want.  There's no way to
answer that question in the generic.  I happen to very much like the
X61s, but that's because it matches my needs and priorities very well.
Your Mileage May Very.

						- Ted