[ltp] Re: T61 brightness/volume

Alan Wood linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 31 Jan 2008 11:36:48 -0800 (PST)

ok,
a follow-up on my own post from last week:
1.  I downloaded xbacklight and it works to change brightness.  of course I
could always change brightness from the command line by echoing up/down to
/proc/acpi/bin/brightness so I don't see how this helps much.  it does
provide a smoother brightness changing effect but it does not provide the
OSD with tpb that the other method does.  I decidedly do not like using
xmodmap to map the fn-home/end keys to this though as I feel it should be a
system event, not an X event.  any news on how/when this will get fixed?

2.  as for volume, I saw a couple of posts and verified that the mute
button does work when acpi_osi="!Linux" but does not work when
acpi_osi="Linux".  however the hardware up/down volume buttons don't work
at all except to unmute.  I saw a post about an alsa master channel being
added to the intel_hda driver, is that supposed to fix this?  is there any
way to map the existing keys to the PCM channel?
I also don't understand why the mute button and then vol up/down produces
OSD events in tpb but just the vol up/down buttons do not....

btw, I upgraded to BIOS 2.09 and kernel 2.6.23.14-107.fc8 (while
downgrading thinkpad_acpi to .16) with no effects.
-alan