[ltp] thinkpad x40, ubuntu, and the latest xorg update.

Jaime Davila linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 31 Jan 2008 17:04:27 -0500

Hello all,

Hello all,

I am running ubuntu 7.10 on a levono x40 laptop, with the 82852/855GM
Integrated Graphics Device. Several days ago, after returning to the
office with it, I notice that the external monitor is not coming on.
That is, I get exactly what I would expect on the laptop's screen, but
nothing on the external monitor. I have tried both having the monitor
connected to the laptop's docking station, and connecting the screen
directly to the laptop when the laptop is outside the docking station.
The screen is OK, though, since it works on a different computer. I have
booted the laptop up both inside and outside the docking station.

When I press fn-f7 to switch the display, I do get a confirmation that
the acpi event was detected in /var/log/acpid. But the script configured
in /etc/acpi/events to run on that event is /bin/true, as configured in
/etc/acpi/events/ibm-videobtn. That file has a time stamp of May 23
2006, well before the xorg upgrade, of course. My xorg.cong has a time
stamp of November 1, 2007. But, I do recall that there were some
upgrades to the xorg system that I installed after having them announced
by ubuntu's update manager a few days ago.

As further confirmation of xorg being involved, fn-f7 in fact does its
job if I press it while the system is booting up, up until the moment
right before X starts.

I've done some searching on both the ubuntu forums and the web, but
nothing useful has come up.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Jaime

Jaime J. Dávila
Special Presidential Assistant for Diversity
and Associate Professor of Computer Science
Hampshire College
jdavila at hampshire dot edu
http://helios.hampshire.edu/jdavila