[ltp] X60 docking station troubles

Nathan T. Templeton linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 30 Jun 2008 23:27:23 -0800

Peter Lemken wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> My spouse's X60 doesn't work as I want it to. The CD/DVD-writer of my T60 fits
> into the docking station and usually it works. Usually, that is I tried it
> half a year ago, but ever since then I switched distributions on both
> notebooks. We are currently running
>
> 2.6.24.4-laptop-1mnb #1 SMP with Mandriva spring 2008
>
> Symptoms:
>
> The drive is not recognized on cold boot when it's in the docking station and
> it doesn't show up on hot insertion with all systems and services up and
> running.
>
> Oh, and pulling it out "hot" from my T60 immediately results in a freeze.
>
> What is the mechanism to troubleshoot this? /var/log/messages doesn't show
> anything when inserted hot, neither when it's removed, obviously. Shouldn't
> there be a mechanism to recognize new hardware like this into a docking
> station? If so, where is it, how can I read a log of this mechanism? Is there
> a particular piece of software that needs to be loaded? A kernel module that
> needs to be rebuilt or what?
>
> Please advise or my GF is going to kill me.
>

> Peter Lemken

Hey Peter,

 First thing I would try is rolling your Kernel back a bit. Don't have
all that much experiance with Mandriva, but I know when I took my R40
from Mint 4 to Mint 5 I had all sorts of issues when docking both cold
and hot.. Things that used to work (i.e. drives plugged into the dock
would not mount. My USB external hd would not work period. etc) Rolling
back atleast for now to 4 which is an older 2.6,x,x fixed it for the
time being. I don't know about you, but I depend on that machine and
really don't have time for big time fix digging..

Nathan
When you are Sierra-Oscar-Lima. I'm Hotel-Tango-Hotel.

And as always, your mileage may vary.