[ltp] OpenSUSE 11 for a T61 - should I switch?

Lenz Grimmer linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 1 Jul 2008 14:51:19 +0200

Hi Andreas,

On Tue, Jul 1, 2008 at 9:23 AM, Andreas Siegert <afxml@atsec.com> wrote:

> unfortunatley OpenSUSE 11 cam a few day stoo late.
> So I have 10.3 on my T61 (nvidia). Works mostly fine apart from wmwave which
> crashes the X server, but so what.
>
> Has anyone on this list using a T61 switched from 10.3 to 11?

Not switched, 11.0 was the first distro I installed on my new T61
(also using the nvidia GPU).

> Is KVM finally getting to a comparable speed vs VMware?

I haven't tried - I am happy with VirtualBox for my purposes.

> Does the WLAN LED work?

Hmm, it does not seem so. But the wireless works just fine.

> Will the Nvidia (not nv) drivers work?

Define "work". They install and 3D acceleration works. I have not done
exhaustive testing of how they cooperate with suspend to Disk/RAM. The
nv driver worked well for me, too. Both support dual-head (external
screens) as well.

> Any caveats?

I found the sound configuration a bit troublesome, removing Pulseaudio
and reverting to native ALSA solved this for me. Also getting Skype to
use the proper microphone too me a while to figure out.

Bye,
    LenZ