[ltp] fancontrol script causes hundreds of wakeups per second

green linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 1 Jul 2008 20:47:33 -0500

--61jdw2sOBCFtR2d/

On Tue, 2008.07.01, 183, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> On Tue, 01 Jul 2008, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> > On Wed, 02 Jul 2008, Tino Keitel wrote:
> > > I tried the fancontrol script from
> > > http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/How_to_control_fan_speed and noticed th=
at
> > > it causes 100-200 wakeups per second in powertop. This happens on a
> > > X61s. Can this be avoided somehow?
> >=20
> > No.  Unless you are talking about hacking the EC firmware to change its=
 own
> > fan controller parameters.
>=20
> I better explain it a bit more.
>=20
> There is also the annoying issue that you need to clobber the internal fan
> loop controller regularly to mess with its recalibration (that causes
> annoying pulses in the fan unless you fixed the firmware of your thinkpad=
),
> that also means more wakeups and ACPI EC activity.

I'm using the latest firmware (2.19-1.08) on a T61 and the latest thinkpad-=
acpi=20
(0.21-20080629).  Using a script I wrote that checks temperatures every 8=
=20
seconds, I get the fan pulsing behavior.  So: what do you mean by "fixed th=
e=20
firmware"?  Is that sarcasm?

Not that it really matters: I recently made some changes to the script so i=
t=20
only updates the speed 'pwm1' when it needs to be changed (instead it hits =
the=20
watchdog 'fan_watchdog').

--61jdw2sOBCFtR2d/

--61jdw2sOBCFtR2d/--