[ltp] fancontrol script causes hundreds of wakeups per second

Thu, 3 Jul 2008 09:26:54 -0300

On Wed, 02 Jul 2008, green wrote:
> Okay.  I guess there is still a problem, even for the T61?  This fan will pulse
> somewhat if I write to pwm1 too often.  Or maybe the pulsing I notice is less
> and caused elseway.

1. It pulses when you leave it alone, but it should be the kind of thing you
can only hear if you are in a silent room.  The pulses change the RPM just
enough to make sure the limited tachometer is not giving false readings.
This is needed because the thinkpad does closed-loop speed control on the
fan.

2. Any regular fan under PWM control will "pulse" when you change its RPM,
except if you have an actual 4-wire fan (power, gnd, PWM drive input,
tachometer output), AND you change the PWM duty cycle VERY slowly.

  Henrique Holschuh