[ltp] ThinkV launched

Viktor Nagy linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 8 Jul 2008 08:44:11 +0200

About the "shourtcuts for applications":

I don't want to "reimplement the wheel" by adding the same
functionality that other buttons should provide, like you said,
raising the volume, etc.

what I want is primarily toggleing the touchpad, and setting the
battery charging and power saving features.

but once you have an application that is launched at the click of the
biggest special key on your keyboard, I think it makes sense to use it
as an application launcher as well.

Let me give you an example:
instead of clicking Alt+F2 you click the ThinkVantage button. There
you can click on your "registered" apps, like Firefox to launch it
quickly, or you can enter a command as under Alt+F2.

of course, there are applications that work in a similar way (for
example I try to get used to Gnome Do), moreover you can assign any
key sequence you prefer to launch a browser. But in my case there are
at least 4-5 such sequences (Firefox, console, emacs, Nautilus, ...),
and after a while remembering all these sequences just doesn't work.
(And for Gnome Do I have to type more than what I plan)

So instead I would like to have an application where I click the
ThinkVantage button, and then (1) I see the list of my quick choices,
(2) I enter a single letter to launch the selected app.

About the "more general approach" for battery saving, etc:

I agree that it would be nice, unfortunately, I don't know much about
these features, neither about which other laptops support it. What I
would like to have is to support all the ThnkPad laptops that have
these features. Of course, if someone adds support for other hardware,
I won't be against it.