[ltp] ThinkV launched

U Kuehn linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 08 Jul 2008 13:39:45 +0200

Viktor Nagy wrote:
> About the "shourtcuts for applications":
>
> I don't want to "reimplement the wheel" by adding the same
> functionality that other buttons should provide, like you said,
> raising the volume, etc.
>
> what I want is primarily toggleing the touchpad, and setting the
> battery charging and power saving features.
>
> but once you have an application that is launched at the click of the
> biggest special key on your keyboard, I think it makes sense to use it
> as an application launcher as well.

I'm using tpb (thinkpad buttons) for that purpose. However, I use the
button as a big "emergency-off" for wireless.
Actually, tpb provides you with the possibility to give it a callback
program that is launched on button press. This is exactly the mechanism
that you are looking for.

> Let me give you an example:
> instead of clicking Alt+F2 you click the ThinkVantage button. There
> you can click on your "registered" apps, like Firefox to launch it
> quickly, or you can enter a command as under Alt+F2.

What's Alt-F2 supposed to do? For my seeting, it's raise-lower a window.

> of course, there are applications that work in a similar way (for
> example I try to get used to Gnome Do), moreover you can assign any
> key sequence you prefer to launch a browser. But in my case there are
> at least 4-5 such sequences (Firefox, console, emacs, Nautilus, ...),
> and after a while remembering all these sequences just doesn't work.
> (And for Gnome Do I have to type more than what I plan)

Hmm, I have at least half a dozon keyboard shortcuts, and use them
regularly. I am sometimes puzzled when they do not work, like on
somebody else's machine... :)

> So instead I would like to have an application where I click the
> ThinkVantage button, and then (1) I see the list of my quick choices,
> (2) I enter a single letter to launch the selected app.

See above.

--
Ulrich