[ltp] iwl3945 is dead?

Ben Pearre linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 8 Jul 2008 19:27:43 -0600

Suddenly I'm having trouble with wifi.

I have a T61 and the Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 3945ABG card,
which has been working nigh-perfectly with the iwlwifi packages.

I noticed that firmware-iwlwifi (Debian Unstable) just went from 0.11
to 0.12 yesterday.  I tried downloading and installing the older
package (esp. since the changelog says "Remove Intel Wireless 3945
(old style) firmware." (although a 3945 file is still installed)), but
even a reboot doesn't help.

Lately (later than the upgrade, but probably the upgrade didn't
immediately reload the firmware), I'm seeing this in my syslog (one
line):

 NetworkManager: <WARN>  request_and_convert_scan_results(): card took
 too much time scanning.  Get a better one.

And "iwlist wlan0 scan" sits around for ~10 seconds and comes back
with:

 wlan0     Failed to read scan data : Resource temporarily unavailable

Do you have any idea where I should begin to look?  I don't see any
other upgraded packages that I would expect to break wireless (maybe
possibly udev??  It too was upgraded), but of course I can't be sure.
Could this be a hardware problem?  The external wireless on-off switch
is on.

Many thanks!
-Ben

--