[ltp] T23 and eye strain

Nate Bargmann linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 14 Jul 2008 22:03:34 -0500

I've noticed over the past year or more that my venerable T23 is
getting more difficult for me to look at.  No, it isn't getting uglier,
it just seems as though I'm getting considerable eye strain after using
it to surf, read documents, etc.  I can now notice the effect after
five minutes or so and if I spend an hour or more in front of it, it
will take some time before my vision clears again.

I'll admit to getting older (I'm in my mid forties) and things are
bound to be drifting out of spec as I go along, but aside from getting
glasses, which I've thankfully never needed, would I be helping myself
by getting a newer Thinkpad?  I've been looking at the T60 series and
there are a few at work, although I've not had the opportunity to use
them for any amount of time and they do look sharp and clear.  I have
three desktops that I use regularly, all with Samsung 17" LCD monitors
and I notice no eye strain when using any of them for hours.

Perhaps my T23 is developing an aging problem like me and the LCD or
backlight is going away.  Perhaps its LCD is not of the quality I am
used to with the newer Samsung monitors.

I am curious if anyone has put the T23 and T60 side by side and noticed
a difference in the quality of the display.  Beyond the increased power
of the T60, an improved display is all I'm really after as the T23
serves my needs quite well booting either Debian Etch or (most often)
Sid.

Thoughts are welcome.

- Nate >>