[ltp] T23 and eye strain

Lenz Grimmer linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 15 Jul 2008 12:19:17 +0200

--------------enig297C9702F6F7BB9DCA42F8D7

Hi,

On 07/15/2008 08:48 AM, Anze Slosar wrote:

> The main degradation of an LCD is its backlight - image gets dimmer and=

> dimmer. This can be accompanied by some color and brightness shift, but=
 no
> flicker or other kind of eye-straining behaviour.

I can confirm this - I have a T42 where the display backlight has started=
exhibit a strong red tint and has significantly lost brightness. The tint=

disappears after a certain "warm-up" time, but the display is still very =
dim.

> So, probably you're suffering just from degraded brightness / contrast.=
 The
> timescales for this are 2-3 years or so (for example, I could easily us=
e my
> X40 outside when it was new and now this is no-way on a sunny day).

Same here - this laptop is now 4 years old. Not sure if it's worth trying=
replace the backlight itself...

Bye,
	LenZ
--=20