[ltp] T23 and eye strain

Tue, 15 Jul 2008 15:44:37 -0300

On Tue, 15 Jul 2008, Richard Neill wrote:
> Does anyone have a good recommendation for maximising LCD life? My
> understanding is that you should set the screensaver to blank the screen
> after about 45 mins, so avoiding excessive "on-time", but not wanting
> too many re-starts of the CCFL.

You should also avoid changing the brightness.  It disturbs the waveform
sent to the CCFL, and that *might* be bad for its longevity.  I say might,
because I think it is probably not going to make any real difference and it
is useless to not use your brightness change controls in order to get a
couple hours, or even a single day of more life out of a CCFL.

> Incidentally, you can fairly easily replace the backlights if you want.

Yeah. I am kicking myself for not coaxing a free replacement out of Lenovo
when my warranty was about to end.  But the CCFL is still good even after
three years, the T43 never had a very bright one in the first place.

> Lastly, if you're getting eye-strain, have you checked your fonts? Many
> people (myself included) find that anti-aliasing causes eye-strain: the
> fonts have "blurry" outlines, so are hard to focus on.

That, and make sure you don't need prescription glasses (or new ones, if you
already have them).  LCDs don't go fuzzy.

  Henrique Holschuh