[ltp] possible fan firmware bug after WLAN was active on X61s

Tue, 15 Jul 2008 21:53:14 +0200

Hi folks,

I get the following strange behaviour of the fan in my X61s:

- the computer is idle, the fan sometimes runs but goes of after a
  while

- I enable the WLAN (load the driver, assosicate to an AP), use the
  connection a bit

- the fan now always runs and doesn't go off anymore

- I disable WLAN and unload all related modules

- the fan still runs forever, even after 10 minutes after I disabled
  the WLAN

- sensors shows low values for all temperature sensors (below 37°C,
  temp1 shows 42°C)

- suspend to RAM, followed by an immediate resume

- the fan goes off immediately after resume, and stays off for a while

- after some minutes, the behaviour before the WLAN was active is
  restored (fan runs sometimes, but goes off after a while)

To me, this looks like a firmware bug. Were there any fan bugs fixed in
recent firmwares?

I have not updated mine, as I don't know how to do that without windows
and without a docking station. I tried a USB CD drive and the .ISO
image supplied by Lenovo, without success (the drive wasn't found by
the boot floppy part). Any hints are welcome.

Regards,
Tino