[ltp] WARNING for everyone doing ThinkPad fan control

Tue, 15 Jul 2008 22:22:07 +0100

> Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
>
>> Don't use fan control to run the machine any hotter than the EC would.
>> There is a damn good reason why the drivers require EXPLICIT
>> configuration
>> by the user to even ENABLE fan control.
>>
>> You have been warned.

I always thought that the main reason to stay < 50 degrees was to avoid
burning the legs of the user.

If, like me, you never use a laptop on your knee, but always use a
table, then isn't 70 degrees safe?

Also, is there any way to make the EC control the CPU? i.e. to say that
silence is more important than performance? So when the EC would speed
up the fan, it should throttle back the CPU.

Richard