[ltp] possible fan firmware bug after WLAN was active on X61s

Thu, 17 Jul 2008 12:38:36 -0300

On Thu, 17 Jul 2008, Michael Karcher wrote:
> Does the EC in newer ThinkPads no longer include the
> critical-temperature shutdown? Of course, running regularly into this

It probably does.  Whether it does main CPU poweroff or just will keep
trying to issue a GPE asking for a shutdown, I don't know.

> *inside* the bag. The fan would get to maximum speed, but as there is no
> air, the temperature does still raise until thermal shutdown (especially
> if the suspend/resume is done via APM, and the BIOS password screen pops
> up. There is no hlt in the BIOS code!).

In that case, the CPU is still running to process EC requests (either in
BIOS or in the OS), so a thermal shutdown would be obeyed.  I don't know if
the EC would power off the box by force if a thermal event is not acted
upon.

  Henrique Holschuh