[ltp] Re: t61 with atheros wifi - prefered driver (madwifi - ath5k) and wifi led

Bill Wohler linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 19 Jul 2008 18:35:23 -0700

Micha <michf@post.tau.ac.il> writes:

> First, what wireless driver should I use? I tried ath5k which is
> supposed to be the newer one as far as I understood. It recognized
> the card, showed it with iwconfig but iwlist doesn't see my wireless
> network. With madwifi I was able to connect at the moment.

When a kernel and madwifi upgrade caused my network to drop every hour
or so, I tried ath5k. I found that while it was able to associate with
the access point, the network didn't come up until I turned off WEP.
It should work with WEP and WPA, but apparently some cards have issues
with them.

Try turning off security and see if you can at least get a network
connection.

I'm using a T40p but you might get similar mileage.