[ltp] t61 special keys wierd behaviour

Mon, 21 Jul 2008 09:12:57 -0300

On Sun, 20 Jul 2008, ledoc wrote:
> I've had similar problems on my T61p but gave up re-trying to make it work
> everything "something" changes: They send keycodes, so I ended up simply
> using xbindkeys to adjust the volume. That always works for me.

Which happens to be the ONLY proper way to deal with Volume-change keys on
the T61 and X61.   In fact, Lenovo itself made sure of that, ON PURPOSE.

Note that thinkpad-acpi knows about it, but someone decided to break its
configuration in userspace on Debian, Ubuntu, and maybe other distros too
(look at your logs and you will see thinkpad-acpi complaining someone is
doing stupid things to hotkey_mask, if you have a new-enough thinkpad-acpi).
The usual culprit is either HAL or hotkey-setup.

A new enough *61 BIOS is even supposed to disable the codepaths
thinkpad-acpi uses(!) for the volume keys, in order to make it downright
IMPOSSIBLE for userspace to screw up.

>  .xbindkeysrc:
>
> #Remark
> "amixer set PCM 2dB-"