[ltp] Re: ThinkPad T61 (7658CTO) Thermal Sensors

Micha linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 22 Jul 2008 21:30:28 +0300

On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 15:52:39 +0100
Daniel Castro <castromd@tcd.ie> wrote:

> Not safe you say... uhm...
> Well even with the fan constantly running the cpu temp will be around
> 65C on normal CPU usage.
> I haven't found anywhere where it actually says what's safe and what's
> not. Not even on those websites you quote. But anything below 75C for
> the cpu sounds safe to me. Is it not really?

not sure about the state of affairs with current cpus but a previous one was amd
athlon xp which had faulty cooling on that laptop. It would shut the computer
down at 80c and after it was doing that for a couple of months (pushed it to
much due to warranty issues) it burned it's self out.

My previous core 2 t7500 (just replaced so no stats on the current one) would
go up to around 69/70 under stress and then it would start throttling itself.