[ltp] Flash Sound Gone

Tue, 22 Jul 2008 17:23:31 +0100

Chris Schumann wrote:
> I did an upgrade install of Fedora 9 over F8. I installed Adobe Flash
> Player using their yum repo. I am pretty sure sound was working, but
> suddenly, it isn't, even after a restart of the machine. I have a T60,
> FWIW.

Have you been "upgraded" to pulseaudio?  If so, I recommend removing it.
Pulseaudio is a sound daemon which solves the same problem as Arts/Esd
did years ago, before Alsa got dmix, namely to allow multiple apps to
use the soundcard simultaneously. With the advent of dmix, there is no
need for a sound daemon.

Unless you want some of the very advanced features of P.A. (eg network
sound, or combining multiple soundcards into a single virtual device),
it's a total waste of quite a lot of CPU power.

BTW, can anyone explain to me why all the distros have switched to
pulseaudio at all, especially when it isn't fully debugged? Does it have
any actual use? It seems especially weird that sound output should now
be configured centrally: whereas normally, if I want to send amarok's
aoutput to my external USB soundcard, I use amarok to control it, but
with P.A, one must use the pulseaudio manager to control it.

Richard