[ltp] Re: ThinkPad T61 (7658CTO) Thermal Sensors

Daniel Castro linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 23 Jul 2008 19:09:29 +0100

--------------090307010100040903070108

I totally see what you mean and I do watch for temperature on other devices.
But I have noticed that if I run stress -c the only thing that goes up
is the CPU and when the fan kicks in is the only thing that gets cooled
down. In other words, I suspect the fan only cools down the CPU and its
heat sink, I don't think it has an effect on other devices.

________________________

Daniel Castro
Networking and Distributed Systems
Computer Science
Trinity College Dublin

Mobile: 083-318-2058
86.4.3 Trinity Hall, Dartry Road, Dublin 6
________________________

green wrote:
> On Tue, 2008.07.22, 204, Daniel Castro wrote:
>
>>    Not safe you say... uhm...
>>    Well even with the fan constantly running the cpu temp will be around 65C
>>    on normal CPU usage.
>>    I haven't found anywhere where it actually says what's safe and what's
>>    not. Not even on those websites you quote. But anything below 75C for the
>>    cpu sounds safe to me. Is it not really?
>>

> That may be safe for the CPU, but what about the rest of the system?  I said
> that the CPU seems to be the most temperature-tolerant area, meaning it can get
> very hot, but you need to watch all the sensors and have thresholds set for
> them too as their respective areas may be damaged at lower temperatures than
> that of the CPU sensor.

--------------090307010100040903070108

<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
I totally see what you mean and I do watch for temperature on other
devices.<br>
But I have noticed that if I run stress -c the only thing that goes up
is the CPU and when the fan kicks in is the only thing that gets cooled
down. In other words, I suspect the fan only cools down the CPU and its
heat sink, I don't think it has an effect on other devices.<br>
<pre class="moz-signature" cols="72">________________________

Daniel Castro
Networking and Distributed Systems
Computer Science
Trinity College Dublin

Mobile: 083-318-2058
86.4.3 Trinity Hall, Dartry Road, Dublin 6
</pre>
    <pre wrap="">   Not safe you say... uhm...