[ltp] ExpressCard slot in X61s?

Theodore Tso linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 24 Jul 2008 00:32:19 -0400

On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 10:40:35PM +0200, Michael Gaber wrote:
> am i totally wrong or are you talking about the wroing thing?
>
> smartcart == thing as big as a credit card with crypto-chip and storage
> for certificates or gpg-keys

The origial note did say "PC Card slot and Smart card slot", but I had
actually never seen anythig like that for sale on the Lenovo web site.
I have seen "PC Card Slot and SD Slot" as an option, so when I saw the
question, I immediately read it as "SD Slot" instead of "Smart Card
Slot".

Looking at the Lenovo web site now the T61 does indeed come with an
option of replacing the expresscard slot with either a SD/MMC media
card reader, or a smart card reader.  Given that you give up a huge
amount of flexibility when you do that, and given that you can get an
express card media reader and/or smart card reader, I don't know why
anyone would choose those options, but apparently they are there.

       	     	    	  	       		  - Ted