[ltp] T61 Atheros wireless LED

Micha linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 24 Jul 2008 10:48:38 +0300

On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 11:36:03 -0400
"Robert T. West (\"Tim\")" <rtimwest@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 10:21 AM, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh
> <hmh@hmh.eng.br> wrote:
> > On Wed, 23 Jul 2008, Micha wrote:
> >> There is also a ath5k driver both in the kernel and compatwireless but
> >> although it recognises my card it fails to actually communicate. I've been
> >> told not long ago on this list that it's because the card is pci-e and
> >> there is an issue with the interrupts at the moment.
> >
> > I have seen a patch for that already in the linux-wireless ML, it just
> > disables MSI for now on all ath5k and ath9k cards, and that's enough to fix
> > the interrupt issues.  Which doesn't mean everything will work, but at least
> > it will have a non-zero chance to :-)
> >
> > It might even be on the newest wireless-compat already, but you can look at
> > the linux-wireless archives for ath5k: emails and check.
> >

> That's of great interest. I haven't had much luck running Ubuntu Hardy
> on a T60p. Currently using ndiswrapper (probably because I don't know
> better) to get the Atheros pci-e wireless to work at all, and, as of
> my last bout with it, it works with no encryption or WEP, but will
> only handshake with WPA if it's within a few feet of the router, and
> never reliably. I find that... strange.

I'm working with the madwifi driver and it's quite reliable. Not sure if I
reach the full bandwidth for some reason, but didn't try with high stress and
close to the router.
At home with wpa2 I had some disconnections, not sure about the current state
of affairs. At work with wep it's working with no problem.
With the kernel ath5k and compatwireless as of two weeks ago (didn't check if I
need to activate something in the code) the ath5k is not working.
The only issue is the wireless led that is configured rather strangely. I can
set it to blink but with a default state of off. The driver knows how to turn
on the led, it just doesn't want to do it to show that the antenna is active,
just to show traffic.

Also it seems that the mechanical antenna switch is not connected to the
wireless for some reason. It only disables the bluetooth. Don't remember what
it did under windows but I think that it is also sends a software switch. Will
need to configure it for the next flight ...