[ltp] ExpressCard slot in X61s?

Micha linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 24 Jul 2008 11:04:40 +0300

On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 00:32:19 -0400
Theodore Tso <tytso@mit.edu> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 10:40:35PM +0200, Michael Gaber wrote:
> > am i totally wrong or are you talking about the wroing thing?
> >
> > smartcart == thing as big as a credit card with crypto-chip and storage
> > for certificates or gpg-keys
>
> The origial note did say "PC Card slot and Smart card slot", but I had
> actually never seen anythig like that for sale on the Lenovo web site.
> I have seen "PC Card Slot and SD Slot" as an option, so when I saw the
> question, I immediately read it as "SD Slot" instead of "Smart Card
> Slot".
>
> Looking at the Lenovo web site now the T61 does indeed come with an
> option of replacing the expresscard slot with either a SD/MMC media
> card reader, or a smart card reader.  Given that you give up a huge
> amount of flexibility when you do that, and given that you can get an
> express card media reader and/or smart card reader, I don't know why
> anyone would choose those options, but apparently they are there.

The t61 always comes with a sd/mmc card reader independent of the PCMCIA card
slot (it's in front to the right of the touchpad). Looking inside it seems that
also the xd-picture and memory stick are active but I didn't try. would have
been happy also for a compact flash though.

it seems that the option is between the expresscard and smartcard for the
additional connection in the PCMCIA card slot.

Don't remember how it looks inside (opened it to change memory) but it may be
that both chips exist but only one is activated as an option.

lspci doesn't seem to know anything about it though I'm afraid.