[ltp] T61 Atheros wireless LED

Daniel Castro linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 24 Jul 2008 10:25:53 +0100

--------------000907040505080306070606

Tim,

My T61 has an Atheros and it works fairly well.
Now that I upgraded to 8.04 it works even better. It does have some
minor issues like:
- The signal reception is weak. For example if in Windows it reports 90%
strength in Ubuntu it will report something like 65-70%.
- Some WPA encryptions will not work under Network Manager. But that's
fixable but not connecting through NM but rather creating your own
wpa_supplicant script and running it.
- The led won't work. I'm used now and don't really care, I have visual
software indicators on my screen anyway...

But in terms of bandwidth and reliability it's fine... so I wonder if
you have a different Atheros than me.
My lspci shows:
03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR5212
802.11abg NIC (rev 01)

________________________

Daniel Castro
Networking and Distributed Systems
Computer Science
Trinity College Dublin

Mobile: 083-318-2058
86.4.3 Trinity Hall, Dartry Road, Dublin 6
________________________

Robert T. West ("Tim") wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 10:21 AM, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh
> <hmh@hmh.eng.br> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 23 Jul 2008, Micha wrote:
>>
>>> There is also a ath5k driver both in the kernel and compatwireless but although
>>> it recognises my card it fails to actually communicate. I've been told not long
>>> ago on this list that it's because the card is pci-e and there is an issue with
>>> the interrupts at the moment.
>>>
>> I have seen a patch for that already in the linux-wireless ML, it just
>> disables MSI for now on all ath5k and ath9k cards, and that's enough to fix
>> the interrupt issues.  Which doesn't mean everything will work, but at least
>> it will have a non-zero chance to :-)
>>
>> It might even be on the newest wireless-compat already, but you can look at
>> the linux-wireless archives for ath5k: emails and check.
>>

> That's of great interest. I haven't had much luck running Ubuntu Hardy
> on a T60p. Currently using ndiswrapper (probably because I don't know
> better) to get the Atheros pci-e wireless to work at all, and, as of
> my last bout with it, it works with no encryption or WEP, but will
> only handshake with WPA if it's within a few feet of the router, and
> never reliably. I find that... strange.

--------------000907040505080306070606

<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
Tim,<br>
My T61 has an Atheros and it works fairly well.<br>
Now that I upgraded to 8.04 it works even better. It does have some
minor issues like:<br>
- The signal reception is weak. For example if in Windows it reports
90% strength in Ubuntu it will report something like 65-70%.<br>
- Some WPA encryptions will not work under Network Manager. But that's
fixable but not connecting through NM but rather creating your own
wpa_supplicant script and running it.<br>
- The led won't work. I'm used now and don't really care, I have visual
software indicators on my screen anyway...<br>
But in terms of bandwidth and reliability it's fine... so I wonder if
you have a different Atheros than me.<br>
My lspci shows:<br>
03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR5212
802.11abg NIC (rev 01)<br>
<pre class="moz-signature" cols="72">________________________

Daniel Castro
Networking and Distributed Systems
Computer Science
Trinity College Dublin

Mobile: 083-318-2058
86.4.3 Trinity Hall, Dartry Road, Dublin 6
________________________
</pre>
Robert T. West ("Tim") wrote:
 cite="mid:9a9ec9460807230836q32cc0d1n3c6f0ed4a33f5f15@mail.gmail.com"
 type="cite">
  <pre wrap="">On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 10:21 AM, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh
      <pre wrap="">There is also a ath5k driver both in the kernel and compatwireless but although
it recognises my card it fails to actually communicate. I've been told not long
ago on this list that it's because the card is pci-e and there is an issue with
the interrupts at the moment.
      </pre>
    <pre wrap="">I have seen a patch for that already in the linux-wireless ML, it just