[ltp] How important are T61 bios/firmware updates ?

Daniel Castro linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 24 Jul 2008 13:05:20 +0100

I just updated mine yesterday, and before that like in January. I got my
T61 in September 07 as well and there have been like 3 updates so far.
On Ubuntu 7.10 I had to do the BIOS update to fix the suspend to RAM
problem. It kind of worked.
I'm on 8.04.1 now and the suspend and hibernate "work" but very
unreliable. And they are not a huge improvement in down-up time so I
just don't use it. I prefer just to normal boot and at least I'm certain
that everything will be stable.
So, at least I can tell you that upgrading the BIOS didn't do me any
harm. But if you are fine as you are then I don't see why upgrading. I'm
of the theory that if something is working why changing it...

Daniel Castro
Networking and Distributed Systems
Computer Science
Trinity College Dublin

Mobile: 083-318-2058
86.4.3 Trinity Hall, Dartry Road, Dublin 6