[ltp] T61 Atheros wireless LED

Robert T. West ("Tim") linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 24 Jul 2008 08:22:15 -0400

Thanks for the responses, guys...

> - The signal reception is weak. For example if in Windows it reports 90%
> strength in Ubuntu it will report something like 65-70%.

That's very definitely the case with mine as well. In fact, it mine
was reporting 20% or so less than 3 feet from the router. That's with
a WRT150N, which is admittedly weaker than my old WRT54GL, but Windows
reports it much higher with the exact same hardware, and works pretty
much flawlessly with it (I'm dual-booting for the time being).

> - Some WPA encryptions will not work under Network Manager. But that's
> fixable but not connecting through NM but rather creating your own
> wpa_supplicant script and running it.

I see another research project coming...  ;-) I'm a professional
programmer, but I work far, far from the metal. Just feeling my way
with this stuff.

> - The led won't work. I'm used now and don't really care, I have visual
> software indicators on my screen anyway...

Same here, I also don't really care. It would be nice to have, but I'm
not going to struggle for it.

> But in terms of bandwidth and reliability it's fine... so I wonder if you
> have a different Atheros than me.
> My lspci shows:
> 03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR5212 802.11abg
> NIC (rev 01)

I'm going from memory here (Thinkpad is at home), but I remember it
being AR5218, and "n" on the protocols. I got the impression  a few
months ago that the only people reporting much success with this
particular adapter were using ndiswrapper and the Windows driver. It
is PCI-E, and I got the impression that the PCI versions were much
better supported in Linux.

Thanks.