[ltp] T61 X.org set resolution on dock.

Borked linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 29 Jul 2008 13:18:03 -0700 (PDT)

Jeremy Hendrickson-3 wrote:

> I have a T61 with the Nvidia Quadro NVS 140m video card, advanced
> minidock, and a Dell Ultrasharp 2408WFP.  I am running Ubuntu 8.04.
>
> When undocked I run the resolution at 1680x1050.  At work, I have the
> dock setup with the Dell LCD hooked up via DVI.  I only use the LCD
> while docked, not the built in LCD.  When I startup my laptop while
> docked it show the boot process and then goes blank when gdm starts.  I
> can login in blind, then undock and enable the Dell LCD as a clone and
> scale the desktop to its full resolution of 1920x1200, and then redock
> and the LCD will then display the desktop with the correct resolution.
>
> I would like to be able to start up my machine while docked and have it
> enable the LCD with the correct resolution by default.  I would also
> like to be able to undock and have it convert down to the lower
> resolution of the built in display.  Also, I almost never start my
> machine undocked and then dock it later, however, I do occasionally
> undock and then redock.
>
> Can anyone help me with this or point me in the right direction?
>
> Thanks in advance.

I am having a similar problem with the same hardware (the monitor is a 20"
dell though).

I've had a little success by going in to the bios and changing the boot
display to the LCD instead of LCD+DVI.  I've managed to convince ubuntu to
boot and display on the LCD once now, but it's failed other times.

For fun, I tried installing OpenSUSE 11.0 and it has the exact same problem.
The display disappears (although one monitor doesn't show "off", it has a
light colour indicating something is lighting it up, but not with a proper
image?)

To me, it looks like the output is going to a non-existant display .. maybe
the VGA port on the laptop instead of the dock or something?

I'd like to be able to use the laptop/monitor as a dual head, or at the very
least, use the monitor to make things easier on my eyes.  I'm going to keep
poking at this, but I am beginning to wonder if the problem is hardware more
than software.

My main trick is to boot the laptop out of the dock, then dock it and enable
the 2nd monitor, but that's not a great long term solution.

Cheers