[ltp] ACPI Lid switch control

Daniel Castro linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 01 Jun 2008 23:00:43 +0100

--------------000708040902010001000906

Thank you both for your answers.
I'll try filling the bug report.

I regards to the kernel panics... well I'll do the hardware test...
But I think it might be the wireless... I have read here and there in
some forums that some wifi cards when put under a lot of stress can make
the system to hang...
The problem then is that I don't know how to troubleshoot since there is
nothing on the logs whenever it happens.

Cheers!

________________________

Daniel Castro
Networking and Distributed Systems
Computer Science
Trinity College Dublin

Mobile: 083-318-2058
86.4.3 Trinity Hall, Dartry Road, Dublin 6
________________________

Dmitry E. Mikhailov wrote:
>>> I have a T61 with Hardy. Everything works like charm. (very occasional
>>> kernel panics)
>>>
>> "very occasional kernel panics" does not mean "works like a charm" you
>> should really investigate into these panics, maybe its even a hardware
>> problem ...
>>
> Hey, I got not a single kernel panic 'till the Migration (from 'other OS', you
> know ;-)) on my X41. That was 2.6.18 kernel. Now it's 2.6.25 and still it's
> as stable as a rock. So as Flyser suggested, you should investigate your
> oopses. Until you use a bleeding edge kernel, oopses usually indicate dying
> hardware. Start with the RAM check. And I hope you don't practice
> undervolting your CPU 'cos hardware working out of spec generates random-bit
> errors.
>

>>> So I suppose I need to disable the ACPI lid switch off at a lower level.
>>> I'm I right?
>>> How do I do that?
>>>
>> I would suggest to file a bug on launchpad, the ubuntu bugtracker, this
>> should not require low-level modifications in ubuntu.
>>
> Wait a little bit with filling a bug. If you don't use acpid then try this:
>
> Disable ACPI lid support
>
> You can also disable ACPI LID support completely. The following advice has
> been copied straight from widan's post on the Gentoo forums (Acer Travelmate
> 8100 continuous acpi events):
> Something you can try (but I don't know if it will work, and it's only a
> workaround): open the file /usr/src/linux/drivers/acpi/button.c, and look for
> that line (it's around line 80):
> Code:
>  .ids =      "ACPI_FPB,ACPI_FSB,PNP0C0D,PNP0C0C,PNP0C0E",
> Replace it by that one:
> Code:
>  .ids =      "ACPI_FPB,ACPI_FSB,PNP0C0C,PNP0C0E",
> Recompile the kernel, install it, and reboot. Now the lid switch handling
> should be disabled (you can check it by verifying that the "ACPI: Lid Switch
> [LID]" line disappeared in dmesg).
>
> Tip taken from here:
> http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-383678-highlight-acpid+lid+100+cpu.html
>
> Best regards, Dmitry

--------------000708040902010001000906

<head>
</head>
Thank you both for your answers.<br>
I'll try filling the bug report.<br>
I regards to the kernel panics... well I'll do the hardware test...<br>
But I think it might be the wireless... I have read here and there in
some forums that some wifi cards when put under a lot of stress can
make the system to hang...<br>
The problem then is that I don't know how to troubleshoot since there
is nothing on the logs whenever it happens.<br>
Cheers!<br>
<pre class="moz-signature" cols="72">________________________

Daniel Castro
Networking and Distributed Systems
Computer Science
Trinity College Dublin

Mobile: 083-318-2058
86.4.3 Trinity Hall, Dartry Road, Dublin 6
________________________
</pre>
Dmitry E. Mikhailov wrote:
 type="cite">
      <pre wrap="">I have a T61 with Hardy. Everything works like charm. (very occasional
kernel panics)
      </pre>
    <pre wrap="">"very occasional kernel panics" does not mean "works like a charm" you
  <pre wrap=""><!---->Hey, I got not a single kernel panic 'till the Migration (from 'other OS', you
know ;-)) on my X41. That was 2.6.18 kernel. Now it's 2.6.25 and still it's
as stable as a rock. So as Flyser suggested, you should investigate your
oopses. Until you use a bleeding edge kernel, oopses usually indicate dying
hardware. Start with the RAM check. And I hope you don't practice
undervolting your CPU 'cos hardware working out of spec generates random-bit
errors.

  </pre>
      <pre wrap="">So I suppose I need to disable the ACPI lid switch off at a lower level.
I'm I right?
How do I do that?
      </pre>
    <pre wrap="">I would suggest to file a bug on launchpad, the ubuntu bugtracker, this
  <pre wrap=""><!---->Wait a little bit with filling a bug. If you don't use acpid then try this:

Disable ACPI lid support

You can also disable ACPI LID support completely. The following advice has
been copied straight from widan's post on the Gentoo forums (Acer Travelmate
8100 continuous acpi events):
Something you can try (but I don't know if it will work, and it's only a
workaround): open the file /usr/src/linux/drivers/acpi/button.c, and look for
that line (it's around line 80):
Code:
 .ids =      "ACPI_FPB,ACPI_FSB,PNP0C0D,PNP0C0C,PNP0C0E",
Replace it by that one:
Code:
 .ids =      "ACPI_FPB,ACPI_FSB,PNP0C0C,PNP0C0E",
Recompile the kernel, install it, and reboot. Now the lid switch handling
should be disabled (you can check it by verifying that the "ACPI: Lid Switch
[LID]" line disappeared in dmesg).

Tip taken from here:
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-383678-highlight-acpid+lid+100+cpu.html">http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-383678-highlight-acpid+lid+100+cpu.html</a>

Best regards, Dmitry