[ltp] External video on T61

Emilio J. Padron linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 4 Jun 2008 10:18:35 +0200

Hi John,

On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 02:22:40PM -0700, John Jason Jordan wrote:
> I have a T61 with Hardy x86_64, using nVidia driver and a laptop screen
> resolution of 1680 x 1050. All is well.

I had a similar problem a few weeks ago, and after struggling with my
X and nvidia configurations I got a first valid solution (at least for
getting by).

I have a T61 with the 1280x800 15.4" display and nVidia Quadro, and I
am using Debian sid with linux kernel 2.6.25, nvidia driver 169.12 and
xorg 7.3.

In my /etc/X11/xorg.conf have these lines regarding output devices
(built-in LCD and VGA output, in my case a projector/beamer):

----
Section "Monitor"
        Identifier      "T61 Monitor"
        Option          "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier      "VGA"
        Option          "DPMS"
        HorizSync       30-130
        VertRefresh     50-160
EndSection
----

The graphic card info is just:

----
Section "Device"
        Identifier      "T61 Card"
        Driver          "nvidia"
        BusID           "PCI:1:0:0"
EndSection
----

And in the *Screen* section I active TwinView, explicitly setting the
1280x800 resolution for both LCD and VGA outputs (DFP and CRT in xorg-nvidia
terminology). The *TwinViewOrientation* option allows the configuration
of the relation between displays (clone, extension...). With
*TwinViewXineramaInfoOrder "DFP"* I fix the TFT as the primary display,
so with desktop extension the desktop panels/bars are shown in the LCD
instead of in the external VGA device):

----
Section "Screen"
        Identifier      "T61 Screen"
        Device          "T61 Card"
        Monitor         "T61 Monitor"
        Monitor         "VGA"
        DefaultDepth    24
#       SubSection "Display"
#               Modes           "1280x800" "1024x768"
#       EndSubSection
        Option "TwinView"
        Option "MetaModes" "DFP: 1280x800, CRT: 1280x800"
        Option "TwinViewXineramaInfoOrder" "DFP"
#       Option "TwinViewOrientation" "Clone"
EndSection
----

Have a look to the nvidia driver manual for more info about the TwinView
options.

Good luck!

Best regards,
Emilio