[ltp] CD-ROM hotplug

Mon, 9 Jun 2008 03:38:28 -0300

On Sun, 08 Jun 2008, Wolf Wiegand wrote:
> Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> > If you are sure it is the connector, get it fixed.  Why do you torture
> > your thinkpad so?
> >
> > Do you want to fry the south bridge's secondary PATA port (if it is not
> > damaged already)?
>
> If http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/UltraBay is correct, I am dealing with
> an UltraBay Plus which supports hot swapping.

And?  That doesn't make an *active* PATA bus any more friendlier to sudden
electrical events caused by broken/faulty connectors.  It will protect the
PATA bus while the bay is powered down and the bus is forced to tri-state in
the planar card, (led is unlit), but that's it.  After the bay is connected,
it can and will fry part of the south bridge (ICH) if you misshandle it too
often or too much.

I stand for what I told you.  It is a bad idea to keep using the bus if you
have a faulty connector.

  Henrique Holschuh