[ltp] CPU running ??? but why????

Mon, 9 Jun 2008 03:57:45 -0300

On Sat, 07 Jun 2008, Arno Trautmann wrote:
> When it is heating up, powertop gives me something like:
> ---
> Cn                Avg residency       P-states (frequencies)
> C0 (cpu running)        (42.1%)         1.61 Ghz     0.0%
> C1                0.0ms ( 0.0%)         1.60 Ghz     1.4%
> C2                0.0ms ( 8.3%)         1200 Mhz     0.0%
> C3                0.0ms (49.6%)          800 Mhz    98.6%

That's broken.  See that 0.0ms?  Kernel bug for certain.  No CPU should even
manage to heat up when it stays 50% of its time in C3.

> Wakeups-from-idle per second : 16359.3  interval: 5.0s

Yikes, 16k wakeups from second is an extremely high value.  Try a newer
kernel, one of the very nasty recent bugs in either ACPI EC/GPE management
or in the timekeeping code is apparently hitting your box.

Of course, it could be a firmware or hardware bug.  But given the reports
I have seen in linux-acpi, a Linux bug is a LOT more probable.

  Henrique Holschuh