[ltp] Please help me pick out my next thinkpad

Wed, 11 Jun 2008 23:10:43 -0300

On Wed, 11 Jun 2008, Norman Ramsey wrote:
> Presciently, I followed your advice and ordered an X300 a month ago.
> It has just arrived.  Does anybody know if Linux actually runs on it,

Oh, it runs alright...

> and if so, what does and does not work?  Before I ordered, I searched

Well, that depends on you, proud X300 owner.  If you DO want to work with us
tracking down the missing support for the new led behind the thinkvantage
keys, and other such minor stuff, it will work that much sooner...

> this list for 'X300' and found only mutterings about ATI graphics
> chips :-)

ATI is good.  nVidia is bad.  Intel is perfect.  As far as Linux support
and energy conservation goes, anyway (Intel does have a lot less powerful
GPU than ATI or nVidia, mind you).

> I was thinking of running vmware and waiting for drivers to catch up,
> but if there's a better alternative I'd love to know.

Just try it :-)

  Henrique Holschuh