[ltp] Please help me pick out my next thinkpad

John Jason Jordan linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 11 Jun 2008 22:44:23 -0700

On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 14:33:35 +0900
Tim Prince <TimothyPrince@sbcglobal.net> dijo:

> Yves-Alexis Perez wrote:
>
> > And some people had really good experience with 4965 (well, at least I
> > do).
>
> In the last month, iwl4965 worked fine for me in Korea as well as eastern
> and western USA, but still only with 802.11g.  Not counting those places
> like Michigan where they don't allow access by linux.

Ever since my upgrade from Gutsy x86_64 to Hardy x86_64 I have been using the 4965. Previously I used a Netgear PCMCIA card because of problems with the 4965.

The situation is now tolerable, but I still get random disconnects, or sometimes I remain connected but lose my DHCP lease. For example, sitting in the library at the university almost directly under an access point, wicd shows 95%, I connect without problem. I access the library catalog, find what I want, and then go to writing a text document. Fifteen minutes later I need to access the library catalog again and discover that I have been disconnected, or that I am still connected but my DHCP lease is gone.

It happens more frequently when the bandwidth is slow. Last week I was getting disconnected every ten minutes, but it was finals week and even the university's own pages were taking forever to load. Too many students on the same bandwidth at the same time.

And lest anyone suggest that it's the university, I get similar results at coffeeshops, friends' houses, etc.

But at least with Hardy I now get the LED light. Like I really care. Keep the light. Give me a *connection*.